We adore taking something excruciatingly plain and transforming it into a fabulously stylish piece of art. One of our favorite ways to spice up a home is by occasionally updating the color palette and swapping curtains, throw pillows and lamp shades for new trendy looks. This is also a great way to add simple decorations for holidays.
One of the easiest (and least expensive) ways to accomplish this is through do-it-yourself (DIY) projects. See our step-by-step guide below.
We chose this nautical design for our new lamp shade because it is summer and nautical is always in style, also, the red, white and blue goes great with the fourth of July.
Time: 15 minutes
Cost: $10-$20 depending on the shade and fabric you choose
Steps for Lamp Shade DIY
1. Lay your fabric face down on a flat surface.
2. Trace the table lamp shade (from the seam) onto the fabric. Add a half inch to all four sides.
3. Cut the fabric pattern out.
4. Spray adhesive onto the back of the pattern.
5. Fold an end section over, about a half-inch, to create the hem. Spray the hem again.
6. Slowly roll your shade onto the fabric. Once you reach the end smooth down the hem.
7. Smooth any bumps in the fabric and let dry.
Bonus Steps for Ribbon Use
8. Measure and cut the ribbon to your liking.
9. Place ribbon onto your lamp shade.
- If your fabric has a pattern spend some time testing which angle looks best on your lamp shade. For stripped patterns our favorite look is slighty angled. See example below.
- If you don't want to write directly on the fabric you can trace the lamp shade on parchment paper and create a pattern for the fabric.
- When spraying the adhesive keep it six to eight inches from fabrics.
- Take your time spray the edges of the fabric.
- Try to smooth the fabric as you roll. If you need to unroll the shade and reroll that is fine.