Is your ceiling fan turning on and off on its own, even when you’re not in the room? Don’t call the Ghost Busters just yet. Most ceiling fan remote controls come with the factory set frequency. If two or more ceiling fans have the same frequency they can be controlled by either fan’s remote, which can have a range of 40 to 50 feet. Hence, the other remote is messing with your ceiling fan. This is more likely to affect you if you live in an apartment or a townhouse. A good rule of thumb is to create a unique frequency as soon as you get your fan. In need of a new fan? Shop Minka Aire ceiling fans.
Do you need a new ceiling fan remote? View Del Mar Fans & Lighting's selection of ceiling fan remote controls.
- Ballpoint pen or small screwdriver
- Regular sized screwdriver
- Step Ladder
- In this video we used the Hayden 78784 made by Westinghouse Ceiling Fan
How to Change the Frequency of Your Ceiling Fan Remote Control
To change the frequency on your ceiling fan, use the following steps:
Turn the power off at the circuit breaker box.
- Detach your canopy from the mounting bracket by removing all screws.
- Retrieve the receiver and locate the dip switch settings.
- The dip switch settings look like four sliding buttons.
- Using a ballpoint pen or small screwdriver to slide the buttons, create a new frequency combination.
- Place the receiver back into your mounting bracket and attach the canopy to the mounting bracket.
- Remove the back of your remote control and remove the battery.
- Locate and remove the small panel covering your dip switches.
- Use a pen to slide the buttons to match the receiver’s frequency.
- Place back panel and remote back.
- Restore power to your ceiling fan.
- Verify settings are correct by turning ceiling fan on/off.
This is a general example to use while changing the frequency on your ceiling fan's remote control but always check your ceiling fan's manual for specific instructions for your device. Enjoy knowing you now have a ceiling fan that will listen to only your commands.
Check out our selection of Ceiling Fans with Remote Controls.