Outdoor lighting is an easy, cost-effective way to add beauty, safety, and security to your home. Understanding which outdoor lights work best with your home's exterior and landscape will help you choose the right light fixtures for your garden, deck and yard. Here are our top eight tips for choosing outdoor lighting fixtures for your home.
- Dimmers - Gives you greater control over outdoor lighting range.
- Home Automation – Gives you remote access to turn lights on and off or at scheduled times from your remote home automation device.
- Timers – Turns on the lights at a scheduled time.
- Dusk to Dawn – Turns on the lights from dust to dawn, but can also be scheduled up to 8 hours.
- Motion Sensors – Turns on the lights when movement is detected.
- Bulb Types – Choose light bulbs that are rated for damp environments. Do not choose the max wattage for each lighting fixture as this can be blinding to neighbors and passersby.
- Energy Efficiency – Consider energy-efficient CFL and LED outdoor lighting in conjunction with lighting controls.
- Dark Sky Lighting – These light fixtures are designed to minimize glare and light trespass, which contribute to light pollution.
- Turtle Safe Lighting – These shielded light fixtures are ideal for coastal areas with turtle nests.
- Solar Lighting – These light fixtures collect the energy from the sun during the day and emit it at night. They're affordable, eco-friendly alternative to many outdoor lighting fixtures.
- Replace broken or burned-out bulbs
- Clean grimy lenses with a soft cloth and mild soap
- Replace broken, damaged or corroded light fixtures
- Trim bushes, shrubs and branches to prevent light obstruction
The right outdoor lighting creates a warm, welcoming entrance for your family and guests. It also creates the appearance of safety and security. Which outdoor lighting fixture do you think best enhances your home?