Whether it is an elegantly draped chandelier
or set of traditional wall sconces, the right type of lighting
can transform the look of a home. A light fixture can add a decorative touch to a space while providing general, task or accent illumination. Light fixtures are available in a range of shapes, sizes, colors, and finishes to complement a home’s individual décor.
Discount Home Lighting - From Close-to-Ceiling to Pendant
There are different degrees of lighting. The first type of home lighting is called general lighting. This form of illumination is used on a daily basis and serves as the primary source of home lighting. The second source of home lighting is called task lighting. Task lighting fixtures focus the illumination on a particular spot or area. Generally, these light fixtures are installed in a kitchen or home office to help users focus on the task at hand. The third type of home lighting is called accent lighting. Accent lighting provides subtle illumination and helps create mood lighting. Lighting fixtures are available in a range of shapes, sizes, and finishes for indoor and outdoor use. Outdoor lighting highlights a home’s unique architecture while discouraging would-be intruders from trespassing. Here are some common lighting fixtures:
- Chandelier Lighting – Formerly used in the 15th century as a symbol of luxury, these light fixtures create a sense of elegance and sophistication.
- Close-to-Ceiling Lighting – Ideal for homes with low-profile ceilings, these lights complement any existing light fixtures.
- Track Lighting – This type of home lighting is comprised of a continuous track device that contains several electrical conductors wherein light fixtures are attached.
- Pendant Lighting – A versatile source of home lighting, hang these lights in a foyer or kitchen.
- Recessed Lighting – This form of home lighting is installed directly onto the ceiling for a clean, streamlined look.
- Wall Lighting – These lights provide a warm glow to the walls and surrounding areas. If your home has high or vaulted ceilings, wall lights are useful.
- Lamps – Floor and table lamps are a convenient way to light up a room. Lamps are portable as they can be moved from room to room to where they are most needed.
- Ceiling Fans with Lights – This multi-functional fixture combines necessity of lighting and comfort of ceiling fan as well as it simplifies the amount of items in a room. It is great for rooms that are in need of more lighting and comfort.
Once you have selected the right lighting fixtures, here are some simple way you can use them:
- Accent a room’s features with picture lights and spotlighting
- Brighten dark corners with floor lamps
- Decorate children’s rooms with bright, colorful lights and give them confidence to sleep on their own
- Evoke a romantic atmosphere using light dimmers
- Make dinnertime prep easier with functional task lighting in the kitchen
- Reduce the risk of slipping in the bathroom with vanity lights or walls scones
The Energy Efficient Home: Lighting, Insulation, Fans, Windows and More
Your home is your castle and can often be an expensive place to maintain. Energy consumption is at an all-time high in the United States, and a large portion of our carbon footprint is related to home energy consumption. Fortunately, this negative impact can be counteracted by the use of energy efficient appliances, better ways to heat and cool the home, new insulation methods, and other essential products designed to use less energy. In addition to the environmental impact, more energy-efficient items for the home can save you money in the long run on electrical bills. Any items you choose for your home that are energy-efficient will help contribute to cleaner air and water, and will help to reduce your personal carbon footprint. Some of these items include ceiling fans with a light, fluorescent or LED lighting fixtures, and eco-friendly double pane windows. Having ceiling fans with lights installed in the rooms of your home helps save energy on heating and cooling. It will also help to keep overall home operating costs lower, saving your family money.
Article Written by +Colby Harris